The biggest thing I learned this week was how to embed sites. For a long time, I thought attaching links meant embedding but I see now I was wrong. I tried to include all important aspects for each assignment and I think I’ve improved since last week.
1. The daily creates were pretty straightforward. I just couldn’t really figure out how to have fun when creating them because nothing special came to mind for them.
First Daily Create: here
Second Daily Create: here
Third Daily Create: here
Fourth Daily Create: here
Fifth Daily Create: here
2. The reason why I chose all of these assignments from the assignment bank is because an idea came to me instantly when I read them. This class is so fast that I really don’t have time to sit around and think about something I could do. Especially when I’m also taking a chemistry course that is required for my major.
- The truthful movie poster, which can be found here, was easy because I already had that photo saved and used Aviary to add text.
- The tattoo that describes me, which can be found here, was also pretty easy because I like simple designs and cats so those two elements were combined.
- The contradictions assignment, which can be found here, was basically the same as the the movie poster. I took an existing picture and added text using Aviary.
- For the Valentine’s assignment, which can be found here, I tried to be more creative and come up with something special. The bad thing about Valentine’s Day is everything is so generic. How can you find a special something for someone when everyone is getting the same thing?
- Are we there yet, the required assignment which can be found here, was more challenging since I’ve never used gimp before. That is why I chose a simpler subject and background.
- I chose animals doing funny things, which can be found here, for one gif because I’ll do any assignment that involves animals. Pugs are cute and ice cream is good. Simple as that.
- The second gif, which can be found here, is a ballerina that looks like she’s dancing. I chose this because I took a ballet class last Fall and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
3. The hardest assignment this week was the photoblitz. Some design concepts such as unity and dominance were difficult to spot. And trying to find a meaning behind everything is difficult for me; I just see things as they are. Unfortunately I couldn’t use my good Sony camera for these pictures because of injuring my right hand. I had to use my iPhone since it only requires one hand to be held. After looking into some of the pictures, I could see that most incorporated multiple design concepts, but I chose one for each to focus on. I uploaded all four photos to Flickr here.
Everyone debates on the best phone and most are between the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy. I myself am trying to figure out if I should leave my beloved iPhone behind and switch to Samsung. It’s been on my mind for awhile and that’s why I decided to make this. Here’s some fake data I made about cell phone users on Twitter.
While doing this assignment, I realized there’s a lot more to things than what meets the eye. Companies do a good job of incorporating these design concepts into their work to make them visually appealing and rememberable with a hidden message.
Symbolism Below is a picture of a t-shirt I have. Pratt & Whitney is an American aircraft engine manufacturer. The two reasons why I chose this for symbolism can be found in the previous sentence you just read. 1. It’s an American company. The bald eagle that can be seen on the shirt represents that, as it is America’s national bird. 2. They specialize in aircraft engines. To fly like an eagle is another way this demonstrates symbolism.
While Moo Thru may be a 50-minute drive from home, it’s totally worth it. I love the design of the company’s name because it’s so fitting. You can see in the picture the eyes are the two o’s in Moo, the letter u has an utter and tail, and the letters in between are like the cow’s body. You can see how the word ‘real’ is highlighted in both statements below and with this, they are sending the message of dairy specialty from dairy farmers. What helps even more with this is the fact the building itself looks like a little barn. This shows authenticity and how serious they take their product which makes that 50-minute drive worth it.
Balance I had a little difficulty choosing one concept for this one because I feel like an argument could be made for a few. I choose balance as the overall concept because this book is dealing with the mind. They want to bring peace and positivity to those who read it. The head is centers and upright surrounded by feathers and the bird is off to the left side. But I can also see symbolism because the head is a cage and the bird is a heavy weight. I see proportion because of the visual weight established. The head is empty, free of that bird holding it down.
Rhythm This is the cover of my laptop case. I chose rhythm as the concept because of the alteration of elements such as the color. There vibrant and lively and work-friendly. There is a central focal point, the apple on the MacBook, and the design radiates from it. There’s symmetry no matter which way you cut it. I don’t think there’s any special ideas behind this design, it’s just pretty.
I chose these because each had elements that stood out to me and fit the concepts listed.
For my second gif, I made a dancing ballerina. I took a ballet class last year and enjoyed it. So that was the first thing I thought of when I saw this assignment. I found a photo online of different ballet positions then cropped them individually. I wanted the same girl for each picture. This was just a generic drawing of a ballerina because I couldn’t find pictures of a person that I liked. Just like the pug gif I made, I created layers with each photo and exported it as a gif.
For this assignment, Animals Doing Funny Things, we had to make a gif of an animal doing something funny. I chose pictures of a calm pug, a pug eating ice cream, and a pug with a crazy, excited look on his face. So in the gif, it’s what a pug looks like before he eats ice cream, while he eats ice cream, and after he eats ice cream.
In gimp, I made 3 layers and uploaded them in the order I wanted them to show up. I exported it as .gif and cropped them so they’d be the same size. I checked the ‘as animation’ box and looped it forever. I chose to slow the animation down a bit so you can actually see each picture. The automatic setting went through the photos so fast, I couldn’t even tell what kind of dog it was. I clicked export then uploaded it here.
I’ve never made a gif before so I had to do a little research in gimp. The hardest part was finding photos that fit together.
This assignment was to take a movie poster and add the truth to it. While I’m sure there are some people who are genuinely interested in Dunkirk, a movie that will be released July 21st that is about the Battle of Dunkirk during the second World War, I think the majority of people who go will be there for one reason. Harry Styles. Mr. Styles is a man of many talents and he’s added acting to that list. According to screenrant.com, Dunkirk is predicted to be one of the top-grossing movies of 2017. That is why I added “a.k.a that one movie Harry Styles is in” because his popularity will likely lead to many sales.
I’m very excited for this movie to be released. When I saw an assignment involving movie posters, I knew I could use this one I already had saved on my laptop. I wanted to use one of the official posters because they look realistic and because the movie hasn’t been released yet. With the help of aviary.com I just added the text. You can check out more about the movie here.
Valentine’s Day cards can be pretty cheesy and the point of this assignment was to create something that is better. Well I’m not sure if this is necessarily better, but I wouldn’t mind receiving something like this on love day. I chose red and white since those are traditional Valentine’s Day colors. I chose a blocky font because it’s only a math equation and it’s easy to read. I think fonts in cursive would look better on words about emotions.
Me being the nerd I am, I know this equation makes a perfect heart when you graph it.Don’t believe me? Check it out here for yourself. This is unique and special and definitely not something you’d find on a cheesy Hallmark card. Of course something like this couldn’t be given to just anyone; make sure they’re a fan of math first. But again, that makes this special because it’s not a “one size fits all” kind of card. I like simplicity so creating a heart in Microsoft word with that equation wasn’t hard. I chose word because I knew it’d display the exponents correctly. Websites like aviary.com wouldn’t.
This is for the Valentine’s Alternative assignment.
This is a picture I took while driving through Charlottesville and I think it’s beautiful. The mountains and scenic views are always worth stopping for. I love nature and spending time outside because there’s a reminder that there’s more to life than the computer your on and the phone sitting next to you. One thing I find frustrating is when people want to get on the internet instead of enjoying the beauty this world has to offer. Asking for the wifi password in the mountains sounded like a good contradiction to me.
This is for the Contradiction Creation assignment.
While tattoos look meaningless to some, that person with the tattoo feels differently. Tattoos tell stories and can be a piece of us. If you’ve seen my earlier posts, you know I love cats. I feel I have a connection with cats and to my friends, I’m known as the “Cat Whisperer”. So it should be no surprise that I’d pick a cat tattoo. I absolutely love the simplicity of this design and how peaceful it looks. While the lines aren’t connected, you can still see the sleeping cat. I think the black lines are essential to this to make in more realistic and visually appealing. Other colors would make it look artificial. Most cats enjoy sleeping and quiet environments..as do I. They are independent and usually confident, and those are qualities I strive for.
If anyone is thinking of getting a tattoo, I definitely recommend trying to merge your own design into it. It’ll be there forever, so making it unique by adding a piece of you to it will not only make it special but it’ll be something you won’t regret later.
This is for the Tattoos that Describe You assignment.